3.26.2014

When Our Own Words Just Aren't Enough...

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. -Hebrews 4:12
The other day I was speaking with a sweet friend and she made this comment:

"When I find myself not knowing what to do or what my purpose is, God always reminds me to just pray. That is something I can always do."
 
Prayer can be and is meant to be powerful... 
It is our line of communication with the One True God.  It should not be taken lightly, and it should not be forgotten or over looked.
 
Uunfortunately, I think we underestimate the power of prayer in our lives. We thank God for our food and families, and we fall asleep in bed at night repeating the same prayer we pray every night- and for most of us our prayer life stops there.
 
Prayer Is and can be- So much more.
 

The bible is clear-
 
We should pray for God to be glorified (Matthew 6:9)
Pray that God's kingdom would grow here on earth (Matthew 6:10)
 
Pray for laborers for the harvest (Matthew 9:38)
Pray to know God better (Colossians 1:10)
Pray for power to comprehend the love of Christ (Ephesians 3:14-19)
 
Pray for our enemies (Mt 5:44)
 
Pray without ceasing- not losing heart  (1 Thes. 5:17, Luke 18:1)
 
Pray for healing (Jas 5:14-16)
 
Pray for protection from evil (Matthew 6:13)
 
Pray for forgiveness of sins (Matthew 6:12)
 
Pray for unbelievers (Romans 10:1)
 
Pray to be filled with the Holy Spirit (Luke 11:13)
 
Pray for boldness in sharing the gospel (Acts 4:29)
 
Pray for wisdom (James 1:5)...
 
The list could go on and on.
 
A couple of years ago I joined a mom's prayer group.  The idea of the group was that each week we were presented with one scripture verse that focused on a specific topic and we were to pray that scripture over our children.  I had never done this before, but was open and willing to participate.

Over time I came to see that praying God's word (scripture) was powerful.  His word is "living and active" and "sharper than any two-edged sword," and from it I began to see God moving and working in the life of my family in ways I never had before.  His word is able to "discern my thoughts and the intentions of my heart" far better than even I can- when I don't know what to pray- God always does.

John Piper shares,
If I try to pray for people or events without having the word in front of me guiding my prayers, then several negative things happen. One is that I tend to be very repetitive from day to day and hour to hour, and I just pray the same things all the time. . . . But the Bible . . . . gives me biblical things to pray for so that I’m not praying with empty and vague requests like “God bless them” and “God bless that.” Rather, I’m asking for specific things that the Bible commends. 
As I grow and mature in my walk with Christ I can see that part of that growth stems from not only reading God's word, but as I read, praying that scripture over areas of my life so that it can move and work the way God intended it to.

For me praying God's word has brought me closer to God.  It's brought me in alignment with his word.  I've learned that his words are far better than any words I could ever come up with on my own, and when I can't seem to find the words to pray- I search his Word.  It has helped me get out of ruts, and his word moves me- not only to emotion, but in action.  And praying God's word makes me think about his word in a deeper more meaningful way- it has become very personal and very real.

I would encourage you to try praying scripture.  God is faithful- and he will not let your efforts be in vain.  Let His words be your words.

Blessings,

signature

No comments:

Post a Comment